If you have been convicted of a crime, then you’re going to need a legit criminal defense attorney. Also, if another party has committed a crime against you, you’re going to have to work with a criminal defense lawyer so that they can offer you guidance on how to proceed with your case. The fact that you are reading this article means that you’re looking to hire the best of the best–and for a good reason too.
The Toperati have compiled a list of the top ten criminal defense attorneys in America. This list should give you a good kick-off to finding a criminal lawyer that handle the toughest of cases. All of these lawyers offer a wide range of services and have received many accolades for their top-notch expertise and performances. These ratings are based on information gathered from peer review websites, such as: UnitedStatesLawyerRankings.com, SuperLawyers, AV Preeminent ratings & more.
10 Best Criminal Defense Attorneys
- Dickson Young is a senior partner of the Whitestone, Young, Brent and Merril P.C. He has accumulated over 35 years experience in criminal defense. Mr. Young is AV preeminent rated. He is best known for his expertise in handling cases that are related to personal injury, criminal , traffic litigation and DUI. Apart from being legal elite in Virginia, Young is also recognized as one of the super lawyers in the field.
- Carol Elder Bruce focuses on white collar criminal defense cases. In 2012, Ms. Bruce has received on of the highest possible peer review rating Martindale-Hubbell® Bar Register. She was the only woman named in the 2010 edition of the United State’s Lawyer Rankings for the Nation’s Top Criminal Defense Lawyer. Ms. Bruce has also been featured for her expertise in the NY Times.
- Jonathan Shapiro is vastly experienced in handling matters to do with appellate and trials. For the years that he has been in this career, he has always been committed to excellence and moreover has been able to litigate some of the most complicated criminal cases such as conspiracies, capital murder and white collar offenses. Mr.Shapiro has been listed in “The Best Lawyers in America” for over ten years.
- Rod Leffler is also a part of the top criminal defense lawyers present in the US and the world at large today. He is vastly experienced in this field especially considering that he has been able to handle various cases in the federal and state courts for the time that he has been practicing his career. He may be the only trial lawyer in Virginia who has worked as a police officer, police academy instructor, and prosecutor, law professor, and substitute judge.
- Thomas Heeney is another of the best criminal defense lawyers that we have around today. His rating as a great lawyer is mainly based on three major areas like personal injury litigation, DUI and non white collar crime defense. Moreover, if you are looking for a super lawyer in criminal defense, this would be the most ideal option for you.
- John Carroll is a top criminal defense lawyers that you can expect to work with today. Apart from being an experienced attorney, he is also a former prosecutor and therefore understands what the law entails. Mr. Carroll’s clients include executives, professional athletes, diplomats and physicians. If you need an experience high profile criminal defense attorney, Mr. Carroll is a top choice.
- John Kenneth is most well-know for his peculiar criminal defense niche. His clients include the famous and the infamous. Rock stars, lawyers, Doctors, politicians and protesters. This man has been in this legal field for well over 40 years. His peers evaluating him as 2011 the Washington, DC Criminal Defense “Lawyer of the Year” by the Best Lawyers in America.
- Joseph King has made appearance in the Supreme Court, trail courts and the appellate courts in Virginia for quite some time now. In the December 2011 issue of the Washingtonian magazine, Mr. King was recognized as one of the areas’ best criminal defense lawyers. The National Trial Lawyers Association selected Mr. King as one of the Top 100 Trial Lawyers in Virginia (2009-2012). He is vastly experienced in litigating constitutional issues and DUI defense. He is also bi-lingual (English/Spanish)
- William Brennan, Jr. is considered to be one of the best trial attorneys in the D.C. area. If you are searching for a great lawyer, Mr. Brennan should be considered as a top candidate. Mr. Brennan mainly represents lawyers, corporations and individuals in matters to do with criminal litigation. Mr. Brennan has received many awards for his success as a criminal defense attorney.
- Jason Rucker works with the Rucker and Rucker law firm which has been in this industry for well over 70 years. Mr. Rucker was selected as on of 2011 Washington’s Best Lawyers. His forte’s include cases from misdemeanors to felonies, including high profile jury trials.